The Adam Institute is an Israeli non-profit, educational organization that works to create a culture of peace, mutual respect, tolerance and co-existence across religious, ethnic and national groups in Israeli society and the region. The organization’s Hebrew name “Adam”, meaning “human”, was chosen based on the founders’ understanding that human equality is the basis for leading a life centered on the values of democracy and peace. Our staff, including Arab and Jewish, secular and religious individuals, embodies our core principles of pluralism and equality, and reflects the ethnic mix of the participants in our programs.
Since 1987, the Adam Institute has been developing innovative educational methods and programs that are implemented in the formal education system and in other complementary social and cultural frameworks. Activities range from democracy and civic education in schools and community organizations, to cross-cultural, cross-border and international initiatives. We organize seminars, conferences, workshops and ongoing courses consisting professional training and enrichment, multicultural encounters and incentives for developing community projects that promote social change. Our programs are modular in nature, and are adjusted according to the age, culture and specific needs of the participants and groups with whom we work.
The Adam Institute has published numerous books, training manuals, and periodicals, in both Hebrew and Arabic (some translated and published in English, German and Polish). Our online forums provide additional channels to share information and educational material, including a facebook page aimed at combating racism and incitement in Israel.
The Adam Institute has received several notable awards for our work in promoting democracy and tolerance in the region, including the Speaker of the Knesset and Yigal Alon awards.
The Adam Institute is a non-profit, non-governmental organization registered under Israeli law (No.580115441). It is recognized as a public institute for donations (under Section 46 of the Income Tax Ordinance) and every donation is tax deductible.
A. The Formal Educational System – Democracy and Civic Education
The Adam Institute is an accredited educational institution that holds a variety of educational activities at all stages of education, starting at preschool, and including both religious and state education. The activities take place with the support of and in cooperation with the Ministry of Education, the Pedagogical Secretariat, the Civic Education and Training administrations, courses and training for teachers, and municipal education departments.
- Training for teachers, principals and educational consultants, and support in implementing school programs. Courses are accredited and held at teacher training centers. The Institute’s team of staff is registered in the Ministry of Education’s database of authorized lecturers;
- Workshops and activities for students and youth – in the fields of social and civic education;
- Binational and multicultural encounters – for students and teachers;
- Preschool Activities – unique programs for kindergarten children and for their staff.
B. Civil Society Organizations (Social, Community and Academic)
The Adam Institute partners with cultural, community and social organizations, as well as with colleges and academic institutions in Israel to develop and implement social and educational projects.
- Training and support of leading teams of staff and instructors in institutions and organizations;
- Seminars and workshops for youth and young adults – enrichment programs, developing initiatives for social change;
- Lectures and workshops that are integrated into existing organization and institution activities;
- Participation on panels and in conferences.
C. Regional and International Activities
The Adam Institute partners with regional and international social, community and academic organizations and institutions that work in the field of democracy and peace education.
- International conferences – welcoming representatives from organizations and academic institutions in Israel and abroad;
- Joint activities and projects with Palestinian social and educational organizations – training seminars for young Israelis and Palestinians that promote the development and implementation of projects by and for the community, to effect change in the two societies;
- Training courses for facilitators outside Israel, using the Adam Institute’s methodology and translated educational material.
D. Web-based Activities
The internet serves as an additional means of information exchange and for promoting public educational and social discussions.
- The Adam Institute Facebook page – serves as a platform for cooperation, for informing on relevant topics, activities and current affairs;
- An additional Facebook page – dedicated to combating racism in Israeli society;
- A public resource center for educational material.